Sunday, September 11, 2011

Assignment #2, Love(27-30); Spin(31-38)




I learned that being in love isn’t easy and that you could love someone who wouldn’t love you back. I felt sorry when Jimmy Cross confessed his feelings to Martha. Her reaction was that she was rather cold and didn’t seem to care about him at all. I’m sure that was very hurtful.
I pictured in my head Martha at that college reunion in 1979. She trained as a nurse but didn’t care too much about it. She hadn’t gotten married, so I pictured her as kind of lost and detached from people. When Jimmy told her he loved her, she didn’t seem to care. I picture Martha as a person who has deadened her emotions.

I couldn’t believe that Azar could be so indifferent in his attitude about seeing a kid with only one leg to the point that he could make a cruel joke about it. He cracked a joke that the reason the boy had lost his leg was because the person who shot him had run out of the ammo otherwise they would have blown both legs off a little kid. I couldn’t believe that Azar could think like that. It made me realize that the war had stripped him of his humanity.
I like the way the writer is honest about his feelings and doesn’t try to make everyone look like war heroes. I think the way the writer describes instances of memory as he remembers them, and not as long stories. The way he writes makes the reader aware of the pain of his memories and how much he needs to hold on to these memories to make it all feel real.

No comments:

Post a Comment