Sunday, September 11, 2011

Assignment #1, The Things They Carried (1-26).



1.)

The tangible item that I would bring would be a large, plastic tarp. I would prefer that it be of camouflage colors and not be the typical bright neon blue color which would be sure to attract attention. An olive green color would be most ideal.
The reason for this would be that having a tarp would be a very effective way of protecting myself and others from the elements. It would provide safe shelter from the weather, rain and heat. It would also protect us from evil blood- sucking mosquitoes. The tarp would be useful in allowing us to sleep in a dry spot. The tarp could also be useful in carrying or dragging along other items.
Bringing a tarp would be important to me because I would be prepared and protected from mother nature that could demoralize and defeat me if I had to sleep in a cold or soaking wet environment . Vietnam is known for its tropical weather, which means there would be a lot of rainfall to deal with. Having this tarp would make me feel warm and safe which would be vital for my well being in such a hostile environment.


2.)
The intangible item that I would bring would be the slogan Carpe diem, which translated from Latin means seize the day. I consider it to be a slogan because I would use the force of its meaning to make the most out of every day. I am there for a mission and I better do my job to the best of my ability.

This slogan of seizing the day would energize me to do my absolute best. By thinking this way, I wouldn’t be thinking. oh god how many days am I going to be stuck here. Instead I would be thinking, I’ve got to kill or capture as many enemies as possible. Thinking positively makes all the difference. It would force me to act instead of reacting to the war situation. This should ensure the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment